Season 5 of Mad Men is off to a great start, and if there’s one thing that every single Mad Men themed party needs, it’s classic 1950′s cocktails. We’ve compiled a list of a few of our favorite Don Draper drinks, so that at your next cocktail party, you’ll be the center of attention as you wow your guests.
The Old Fashioned: Don wins over the famous Conrad “Connie” Hilton with this cocktail. The great American entrepreneur goes so far as to tell Don that it’s “one hell of a cocktail.” If you’re looking to win over a big client, your Old Fashioned is going to need to be similarly up to snuff. This Week In Mad Men have done an incredible job in determining just how Don puts together this beautiful drink:
- Start by putting a sugar cube in the bottom of each tumbler glass and then adding four dashes of Angostura Bitters to each.
- While you let the bitters absorb the sugar, fill a pint glass 2/3 of the way full with ice and add Old Overholt (or whatever rye whiskey you have on hand) about a third of the way up the glass.
- Add a third of a glass of club soda to the pint with ice and whiskey.
- Muddle a maraschino cherry in each of the tumblers with the bitters and sugar mixture.
- Stir the whiskey, club soda, and ice mixture a healthy ten stirs and pour this mixture into your tumblers.
- Garnish the drink with a wedge of orange and enjoy!
The Gibson Martini: Roger Sterling, Don’s sometimes drinking buddy and full-time boss, loves his Gibson Martinis. Here’s Drink Mixer’s take on this regal cocktail:
- Stir gin or vodka on ice
- Strain into a martini glass
- Add cocktail onions and enjoy!
If you’re interested in stepping up your game so that all of your cocktails are on par with Don’s, try taking a mixology class through HeyKiki! If you’re looking for a new hobby or a class in your area, HeyKiki can help with that too!