In our next installment of this international series, we look to supplement our tutoring lessons in NYC with a lesson in Indian culture. HeyKiki offers classes, instructors and tutoring buddies in many different languages on the subcontinent. So why not explore the intricacies of the people that live there? Here are a few fun tidbits of knowledge you should know about India:
1. Checkmate. The game of Chess was invented centuries ago here.
2. Add yoga to that list as well.
3. In all of its history, India has never invaded another country. Peace is a great thing.
4. Toilet paper use is frowned down upon in Indian culture. Instead, a left hand is used to wash in the lavatory. As a result, no one uses that hand to eat.
5. The earliest use of cotton was in India; when Roman emperors wore wardrobes made with the fabric, they called cotton “woven winds.”
6. The value of “pi” was first calculated in India during the 6th century. It’s been blowing everyone’s minds since.
7. The seventh largest country in the world all falls under one time zone.
8. Many communities on the subcontinent heavily rely on dairy. Now, India is the largest milk-producing country in the world.
9. Here’s to making your high school career a little harder: Indian mathematicians were behind the decimal system and the idea of zero.
10. Forget about Hollywood; the Bollywood movie industry is the most lucrative in the world. Also, the B in Bollywood is for ‘Bombay,’ which is where the movies are mostly produced.
We hope you enjoyed your fact-based time in India as much as we did. Now, check out the numerous languages from the subcontinent with our tutoring lessons in NYC!