Yoga is a form of exercise that can be performed even by elderly individuals. Yoga makes your body fit and your mind calmer and more relaxed. Yoga is very important for the prevention and control of health and emotional problems that come with old age. It allows you to get in touch with yourself and your body and leads you towards a positive lifestyle.
Old age is the stage when a person has more time for himself, family, freedom and relaxation. Yoga offers a wide range of poses for all kind of age groups but this blog focuses more on the poses for the elderly.
Here are some best Yoga Poses for the Elderly:
- Kapalabhati: It is a breathing system which is used for cleansing. It cleans your breath and is helpful for people who have tension and the chest congestion.
- Sukhasana: It is one of the meditative poses and is also known as Easy Pose. Sukhasana helps in straightening the spine, promoting inner calmness and keeping your mind free of stress.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana: It is the Dog Posewhich improves flexibility of your spine, stretches your hips, middle and lower back and helps in preventing back problems. This Yoga Pose is not recommended if you have any serious back pain or injury.
- Pavanamuktasana: It is also called Wind Relieving Pose. The term Pavanamuktasana is derived from the Sanskrit word ‘pavana’ which means air or wind and ‘mukta’ which means freedom or release. The Wind Relieving Pose works for eliminating extra gas from the stomach.
- Savasana: It is also known as Corpse Pose and is considered as a relaxation Yoga Pose. It is practiced before or in between Asanas as well as for a Final Relaxation.
There are many other poses that can be practiced by the elderly. Yoga for the elderly can be an ideal workout to stay fit and live healthy lifestyle.
If you’re in the New York City area, check out the yoga classes and instructors on HeyKiki and find the perfect yoga practice for you. If you’re looking for someone in the NYC area to practice with, we have yoga practice buddies on HeyKiki just waiting to connect with you!
If you’d like to learn a sport or activity other than yoga, we have other sports and activities instructors and classes in your area on HeyKiki too.